- Tutor.com - Get free tutoring from a live instructor over the web. Available from noon to midnight.
- Noodle Tools - A free website that contains NoodleBib (help with bibliographies) and NoodleQuest (search strategy assistance).
- Atlapedia - For a term paper on China or a quiz on France, here are maps and facts on government, culture, climate, and more.
- The Annenberg/CPB Project Exhibits Collection - A great place to start. Contains information on subjects from why civilizations collapse to what makes us who we are. The site also has some interactive features including a personality test and a chance to design your own roller coaster.
- The Discovery Channel Online - Site offers a wide variety of stories related to the TV program. Learn about everything!
- Information Please Almanac - The online version of the popular reference book for facts and statistical information.
- My Virtual Reference Desk - Link to other online reference tools like dictionaries, encyclopedias, atlases, thesauri, quotation books, and other sources.
Books & Writing
- Internet Classics Archive - Select from a list of 441 works of classical literature by 59 different authors. Contains full-text versions.
- IPL Research & Writing for High School and College Students - A great resource from the Internet Public Library to help you write that term paper.
- Merriam Webster Dictionary - A dictionary, thesaurus and more. Also offers word games and bit of language history.
- Strunk’s Elements of Style - The online version of the “must have” style bible.
Math & Science
- The Biology Project - An interactive online resource for learning biology from the University of Arizona.
- How Stuff Works - How does a car engine work? What makes the inside of your refrigerator cold? Use this site to find out the answers to these burning questions and more.
- Scientific American - Articles from the current issue of the magazine and links related to the featured articles.
History & Government
- Labyrinth - Georgetown University’s Labyrinth is a good place to start for medieval history.
College & Career Planning
- Accredited & Affordable Colleges Online - Free, in-depth resources to help students find accredited, budget-friendly online college and university degree programs.
- Armed Forces Careers - Check out military careers and benefits.
- College Board - Site with a scholarship search, a career search, and a college search. See if you can answer the SAT Question of the Day.
- College, College Scholarships, and Online Degrees - Site developed by a team of veteran professional educators who have developed this and other websites to make it as easy as possible for students of all ages to pursue post secondary education.
- Collegexpress - Good site for the transfer student. Also has financial aid information.
- College Net - Links to college sites, scholarship sites, and links to other interesting sites.
- Go College - Search engine that will search for the right college for you based on your selection criteria.
- GoodCall Scholarship Search Engine - One of the largest databases of scholarships on the web. It's free to use and requires no personal information.
- EdRef College Search Directory - Free detailed information on thousands of US colleges, universities, and post-secondary trade schools. School info includes admission requirements, degrees & majors, contact info, test scores, student diversity, religious affiliations, athletics, tuition expenses, etc.
- Educational Testing Service - Site with the testing and deadline dates for the SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, and LSAT. Access to US News online information on schools and aid.
- Embark.com - Information and advice on scholarships, loans, grants, fellowships, work-study programs, and other funding sources.
- FastWeb - A Financial Aid Calculator, EFC estimates, and links to financial aid offices.
- Financial Aid Information Page - A comprehensive site with sources of aid and loans, special interest sites, and links to vendors.
- Homeless and Low-Income Higher Education - A special guide to help college students who struggle with reliable housing, bills, tuition and other financial challenges.
- How to Study for the GRE - A comprehensive guide for preparing for the GRE.
- MoneyGeek - A finance guide that helps students understand common (and uncommon) ways of financing your education or lowering your expenses.
- Online College Guide - A great free resource for finding the best online college. It features hundreds of verified consumer reviews alongside the information you need to make an informed decision.
- Peterson - A site with guides that are well respected in the educational field.
- Sallie Mae - Find funding for educational loans. Take Financial Aid 101, download a brochure, or try one of the calculators.
- Scholarship Help - A site written for students, by students. Contains plenty of information about the scholarship process.
- Smart Scholar's Guide to Student Loan Resources - A comprehensive list of informational websites that give you the most in-depth information on taking and repaying student loans to help finance your college education.
- Student Loan Guide - An excellent resource that will help you make the right consumer decision when selecting your student loan.