The City of Sterling Heights recognizes that sustainability is essential for the continued livability of the planet. While a global concern, the City of Sterling Heights must do its own part at the local level. Therefore, on March 17, 2020 the Sterling Heights Sustainability Commission was established. The purpose of the Sustainability Commission is to advise and make recommendations to the City Council, the City Manager and any other applicable boards and commissions on the City’s long-range goals, policies, and programs on all matters pertaining to sustainability, including matters referred to the Commission for study as well as matters initiated by the Commission of its own accord.
Current goals of the Sustainability Commission include:
- To create a Sustainability Plan by the end of its first year of existence, and thereafter update and maintain a three-year sustainability plan that outlines specific areas for City Council to study and the Commission’s recommendations relating to those areas
- To develop and advise the City Council on implementation of community-wide strategies regarding waste reduction, recycling, and sustainable growth and development;
- To create a model of sustainability through efforts to advocate, educate, and promote the social, economic, and environmental health of the community, now and into the future;
- To work in collaboration with City staff, officials, and existing City nonprofit partners to determine annual City and community priorities, projects, and resources relative to sustainability issues and that are designed to improve the environment, reduce operating costs, or reduce the City’s carbon footprint;
- To assist City staff with the engagement of the City’s residents and businesses in sustainability initiatives;
- To broaden the lens and scope of energy and environmental needs in the future such as wind and solar energy, clean air and water, and improving green infrastructure and other best management practices;
- To research initiatives outside of the City to determine how other communities are addressing sustainability;
Sustainability Commission Ordinance
To view the Sustainability Commission Ordinance, click the link below.
The Sustainability Commission has created a Sustainability Plan to help guide the City implement more sustainable practices. The Sustainability Plan can be viewed here.
- 6:00 pm every 3rd Wednesday of the month
- Located at Room 106 (Adjacent to Council Chambers), City Hall, 40555 Utica Road
Agenda & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Mark Graf - Term expires June 30, 2023
- Mobashira Farooqi- Term Expires: June 30, 2022
- Nathan Inks - Term expires June 30, 2024
- Jonathan Matthews - Term expires June 30, 2023
- Chris McLeod - Administrative Liaison; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allison Bittner - Administrative Liaison; email@example.com