Community Center Updates
In accordance with the Governor’s recent executive orders 2020-175 and 2020-176, which permits the opening of community centers for the purposes of fitness related activities, the Sterling Heights Parks and Recreation department announces the re-opening of the Community Center to residents beginning Monday, Sept. 21.
The re-opening of the Community Center comes with specific guidelines to ensure the health and safety of our residents. Please review the below modifications established in order to participate in activities and programs throughout the building:
- The Community Center is only open to Sterling Residents at this time. Residents must provide proper identification upon entering the building.
- All patrons will be required to wear a mask or facial covering for the duration of their time in the building, including during any physical activity.
- Down time is scheduled each day to account for cleaning and disinfecting of spaces, and minimizing overlap of patrons in common spaces at one time.
- Activities in the gym and track will be limited to no more than 20 people per space, and limited to Sterling Heights residents only. No spectators will be permitted to be in the gym during drop-in activities.
- All gym activities will use City supplied equipment for basketball, futsal, and volleyball to insure equipment is properly sanitized. No outside/personal equipment will be permitted with the exception of pickleball and table tennis paddles, as well as badminton rackets so that equipment sharing is minimized. Shared equipment will be sanitized between player use if department issued paddles and rackets are used.
- All track users will be required to complete a registration form and COVID-19 related waiver each day that they use the track and can only be registered at the time of use. Out of courtesy to other potential patrons, we will be requesting that track users limit their time to no more than one hour.
- All gym activity users will register for the specific time slot of the activity in which they wish to participate in. Registration can be completed in advance or at the welcome desk on the day of the activity, pending availability. Registration will include a registration form and COVID-19 related waiver.
- Activities will continue to be City activities only. No facility rentals will be allowed at this time.
Sterling Heights Parks and Recreation Department thanks you for your cooperations in keeping our community safe. Please note that guidelines may change at any time without advance notification as we monitor the ongoing status of our opening.