Renewals & Holds
Rental periods can be extended if no one else has placed a hold on your item(s). There are several ways to renew:
- Online - Log into your account and click on My Library Account at the top. Go to the Checkouts tab to renew the items yourself.
- Automated Phone Renewal System - Call (586) 203-8725 any time, any day. The system will ask for your library card number and PIN.
- Call the Library - Talk to library staff during our normal hours of operation. Call us at (586) 446-2665 and press 2 for Circulation.
- In-Person: You can speak to a clerk at the checkout desk.
How Often Can I Renew?
For most Sterling Heights checkouts, you can renew up to three times. Some items, such as Bestsellers, cannot be renewed. Furthermore, other libraries have different renewal policies. If your checkouts are from another library, you may not have as many chances to renew. If you aren’t sure how many renewals you have, please ask our staff.
You can reserve an item by placing a hold. To place a hold, or to check on the status of your holds, do one of the following:
- Online - Log into your account. You can place a hold by searching the catalog. To check on a hold, click on the My Account button at the top. Then go to the Holds tab see that status of your holds.
- Call the Library - Talk to library staff during our normal hours of operation. Call us at (586) 446-2665. If you want to place a hold, press 3 or 4 for holds on Adult or Youth items respectively. If you simply want to check on your holds, press 2 for Circulation.
- In-Person: To place a hold, speak to a librarian at one of our information desks. To check on your holds, ask a clerk at the checkout desk.
Picking Up Holds
When a hold is ready, you will be contacted by phone, email, or text. The notification method was set when you created your library card, but you can change it by speaking to a clerk at the checkout desk.
Once a hold arrives, you have one week to pick it up.
Suspend a Hold
If you know that you will be unable to pick up holds for a period of time, but you also don’t want to lose your place on a hold list, you can suspend your holds until you are ready. To suspend a hold, use the same methods as seen above.