Due to the current winter weather, the City of Sterling Heights Public Works Department has issued a Snow Emergency/Parking Ban Advance Notice. A Snow Emergency will be in effect beginning at 7 a.m. tomorrow, Friday, February 18.
When a Snow Emergency is declared, no vehicle shall be parked on any City street during the emergency. Violators will be ticketed and may be towed. Residents must plan to have vehicles parked off the streets during this Advance Notice. Per city ordinance, residents must also have their sidewalks cleared of snow within 24 hours from the end of snowfall.
Once snow accumulation ceases and all major roads have been cleared and salted, Public Works staff will commence snow plowing and salting operations on neighborhood roads. During a snow emergency, all Public Works personnel are incorporated into the snow emergency work in order to man, repair and maintain all available equipment around the clock until emergency conditions cease.
DPW will be using Snow Plowing District Map B. More information about the Sterling Heights DPW snow and ice removal program can be found at sterling-heights.net/snow.
In addition to the Snow Emergency, some programming and services may be impacted:
- City Hall will be open during their normally scheduled hours from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m.
- Senior Center transportation will be canceled on Friday, Feb. 18.
- Parks & Recreation Buildings will be open during their normally scheduled hours for drop-in activities (Community Center from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., Senior Center from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Nature Center from 1 to 5 p.m.)
- The ice rink will open as regularly scheduled at noon.
- The Sterling Heights Public Library will open as regularly scheduled at 1 p.m.
- Park trails will be cleared once all snowfall ends.
- For additional information on Parks & Recreation programming and amenities, please call the following hotlines:
- Ice Rink Hotline: (586) 446-2711
- Senior Center Hotline: (586) 446-2693
- Special Event Hotline: (586) 446-2692
- Refuse collection will likely experience delays, but will not be cancelled.
- The Recycle Center will be closed on Friday and Saturday to allow DPW staff to focus on snow removal.