The Sterling Heights Area Community Foundation and its 10 scholarship sponsoring partners will award 19 scholarships totaling $32,000 to area college bound high school seniors and current college students living in Sterling Heights and Macomb County.
Applications for each scholarship must be received or postmarked by March 10, 2023. Interested students can apply by visiting sterling-heights.net/communityfoundation and clicking on “scholarships” in the sidebar.
This marks the 25th consecutive year that the Foundation has awarded scholarships to area youth pursuing degrees in higher education or vocation training. The Foundation began awarding scholarships in 1999 and has awarded scholarships to 524 area students totaling $490,000, including the 2023 awards.
The organizations awarding scholarships in 2023 are BAE Systems, General Dynamics Land Systems, Macomb County Chiropractic Association, former Mayor Richard J. Notte endowment for government public service, Ronald Himmler Science Scholarship, Rotary Club of Sterling Heights, the Selfridge Air National Guard Base Community Council, Sterling Heights Area Community Foundation, Sterling Heights City Manager Professional Public Management Education Scholarship, Vibe Credit Union and Wujek Calcaterra and Sons.
- BAE Systems – Is awarding one $1,000 scholarship to a Sterling Heights area student pursuing an undergraduate degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics curriculums. Candidates must have a minimum GPA of 3.5, entering a North American accredited university or college, be a full-time student and demonstrate involvement in extracurricular and community activities. Preference given to Sterling Heights residents.
- General Dynamics Land Systems - Is awarding one $2,000 scholarship to a Sterling Heights area student pursuing an undergraduate degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics disciplines. Candidates must be high school seniors with a GPA of at least 3.5, who will be enrolled as a full-time student in a North American accredited university or college and demonstrate involvement in extracurricular and community activities.
- Macomb County Chiropractic Association - The Association is awarding five $2,000 scholarships to students pursuing a career in chiropractic health care. Applicants may be enrolled in undergraduate studies with the intent of becoming a Chiropractic physician or may already be enrolled in a Chiropractic college. Applicants may also be high school seniors with plans to study Chiropractic upon graduation. Open to Macomb County residents. Must submit a statement about their connection and interest in Chiropractic. Recommendation letter(s) recommended.
- Mayor Richard J. Notte Scholarship for Public Service - Is awarding one $2,000 scholarship to a Sterling Heights college student pursuing a college degree in government public service. Applications will be judged on academic achievement, financial need, and community service.
- Ronald Himmler Science Scholarship – Is awarding three $2,000 scholarships to high school seniors attending Henry Ford II, Sterling Heights, or Stevenson high schools with emphasis on science grades.
- Rotary Club of Sterling Heights - Is awarding two $1,000 scholarships to Sterling Heights residents who are either high school seniors or college students. Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.25 and demonstrate community service involvement. The scholarship is open to students pursuing any field.
- Selfridge Air National Guard Base Community Council – Is awarding one $1,000 scholarship to the son/daughter of military personnel attached to Selfridge Air National Guard Base attending college or vocational training.
- Sterling Heights City Manager Professional Public Management Education Scholarship - One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a Sterling Heights area high school senior or a college student who plans to pursue a degree in public administration.
- Sterling Heights Area Community Foundation - Is awarding two $2,000 scholarships to Sterling Heights area high school seniors pursuing college degrees or vocational training. This scholarship is for Sterling Heights area residents.
- Vibe Credit Union - Is awarding one $2,000 scholarship to a Sterling Heights area student graduating high school and pursuing an education at a university, college, or technical school.
- Wujek Calcaterra and Sons Scholarship - Is awarding one $1,000 scholarship to a Sterling Heights area high school senior pursuing a college degree in any curriculum. Applicants must have a 3.5 GPA and demonstrate community service involvement.
“The Sterling Heights Area Community Foundation applauds the continual annual scholarship contributions of our 10 scholarship partners to support Sterling Heights area high school seniors and current college students pursue a college or vocational degree,” said Karl G. Oskoian, Executive Director and President Emeritus of the Sterling Heights Area Community Foundation. “Community leaders, like our 10 scholarship partners, make a difference in the lives of not only the students but the community at large. We and the community are fortunate to have individuals and companies like our scholarship partners come forward annually and make a difference in the lives of so many outstanding students by helping them pursue their professional goals.”